Okay, playing catchup after my overseas trip. Starting off, I’d like to thank Mr. A from A Barbarian in Gentleman’s Clothing for nominating me for my first Sunshine Blogger Award. A true honor, sir! Mr. A nominated me while I was traveling so I’m a little late in responding. Pop over to his site to get his unique and well-dressed take on life.
About the nomination:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award in your post/or on your blog.
- Notify the nominees about it by commenting on one of their blog posts.
Here are the questions Mr. A has asked me to answer.
1. Tell us about something that you have been pursuing (or at least used to) just because others say it is worthwhile, but you haven’t found valuable?
I used to want everyone’s approval. Maybe it was because of low self-esteem as a kid. Anyway, I used to worry about being excluded by the cool people or marginalized — I equated success with attention and this continued on into adulthood. Then one day I realized I didn’t like a lot of the “cool” people because they were fake and insincere and kind of shallow. It was very liberating. Now, it doesn’t bother me. If I’m not cool, so be it. I’ll be me.
2. What makes you feel truly alive?
The adrenalin of gambling — well it used to. I don’t do that anymore. Also, writing something that really comes together — it’s an awesome feeling when I know I’ve written something that people enjoy or find interesting. I wish it happened more often.
3. Tell us something that you regard as a whim, but is also highly integral to who you are?
My whole life seems to be a whim so not sure what to say lol.
4. What aspects of your identity are you still holding on to but no longer believe in wholeheartedly?
That I’d be a successful novelist or screenwriter. I got sidetracked by insecurity and perfectionism and just stopped working toward it. Now, if it happens, it happens, but if not, c’est la vie.
5. In what aspects of your life are you highly competitive?
Being right. I’ll go to great lengths to research something just to win a pointless argument. I used to battle online trolls a lot but now I try not to waste my energy.
6. If you were to learn any form of martial art, what would it be and why?
European sword fighting because the Middle Ages fascinates me. Not fencing, but more longsword. I know a couple of fellows who started up a sword fighting school years ago and are now experts — I should look into it but I’m out of shape.
7. Give us 3 wrist watches that you consider an essential to a man’s wardrobe?
I like how a wristwatch looks, particularly a well-crafted one, but I haven’t worn one in donkey’s years so I’m not really up on them.
8. How do you like your eggs in the morning (runny, over easy, scrambled, hard boiled, soft boiled, etc)?
Over easy or scrambled — and with bacon!
9. What book has greatly challenged your perception of the world but turned out for the better?
Hmmm, I don’t know if any has greatly changed my perception or not (probably reading the wrong kind). Books that got me thinking include The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. 1984 by George Orwell. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (back when I was 16 this really moved me).
10. What are your opinions on the current state of my blog? What are the things you find noteworthy? What are the things that could be improved more?
I would say it’s well put together. You post frequently and have done a great job building up a following and engaging with your followers. I really don’t have any suggestions other than keep being you!
11. Now for something fun, please note that this is just optional. No need to answer if you don’t want to. For the ladies, if your special someone decided to give you lingerie as a present, what kind of lingerie would make you feel sexy? For the guys, if you were to give your special someone lingerie as a present, what lingerie do you think would make your special someone feel so sexy? Again, this is just Mr. A being Mr. A. I mean no disrespect to any of my nominees, and I won’t feel bad if you don’t answer this.
It would depend on the woman I was involved with, but I’m currently single.
I remember reading somewhere I’m supposed to nominate bloggers who exhibit Positivity, Creativity and Sunshine, so Kieran from Kieran’s Bullshit Humor — sorry, man you’re out. If it was Cynicism, Anger, and Petty Feuds, you’d be the front runner.
Oh, what the hell, I’m nominating blogs I like or find interesting, even the darker (or spicier!) ones. As a nominated blogger, if you don’t feel like participating, no pressure and no hard feelings as I totally understand. Anyway, here goes. (I’m doing 12 because I know one person probably won’t be interested, but I’m nominating them anyway. Plus, I’m the boss of me).
- Basilike Pappa at Silent Hour
- What’s Nonfiction?
- Milly Schmidt at The Cat’s Write
- Bojana Stojcic at Coffee & Confessions to Go (her blog is currently set to private but I’m including her here anyway)
- Kieran at Kierans’s Bullshit Humor (heads up, sensitive people, lots of anger and swearing)
- Mitch Teemly at The Power of Story
- Laleh Chini at A Voice from Iran (she’s probably tired of being nominated)
- Cecilia Kennedy at Fixin’ Leaks and Leeks
- Nitin Lalit Murali at Fight the Dying Light
- Kally at MiddleMe
- Petra Jacob at Inkbiotic
- Sheqo at Sheqoz.com
My questions for my nominees
- What would your dream job be and why?
- How would you describe your perfect day?
- What inspires or influences you as a writer or blogger?
- If you decided to move to a new country or city, where would you want to live and why?
- What famous person or celebrity at any point in history would you like to meet and what would you want to talk about or ask that person?
- In what fundamental way have you changed over the years?
- What do you like about your writing and what frustrates you?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to start a blog or be a writer?
- What is a pet peeve of yours?
- What’s your favorite book, movie or TV show and why? (answer any of them you feel like)
- If you were to be sent back in time — at least more than 75 years ago — when and where would you want to be sent to and why? Would you be an observer or a participant?
Featured Image: Photo by Hassan OUAJBIR from Pexels
21 thoughts on “1st Sunshine Blogger Award”
Congratulations! I like those questions too–thanks for the nomination!
Congratulations Sean and thanks a million for thinking of me.❤️
Of course, Laleh.You’re welcome!
Congratulations! You’ll end up with more😊 you deserve it ❤
Congratulations on your nomination and thank you for nominating mine! Your answers are awesome !
Good that things like that stopped bothering you.
Perfectionism is a curse, if u ask me.
And yes, we were moved by the same books.
It really is.
Congratulations! I just saw this. And you’re back from Britain.
Thank you very much for nominating me. I won’t participate, but it means a lot that I am among your chosen ones.
You know, I can’t remember one life-changing book. I think they all did their small part in making the big picture of me. One of my very favorites is The Idiot.
No problem! I selected several people who I was sure wouldn’t participate, but that didn’t matter to me.
I would have done the same
Thanks for the nomination — and fuck you for all the homework… It is actually funny that my bullshit would be in a “Sunshine Award”…
I knew you’d enjoy it.
Just for making me answer all those questions… I nominated you back for Sunshine Blogger award… https://kieranbullshit.com/2019/06/11/this-bullshit-got-nominated-for-a-sunshine-blogger-award/ Enjoy.
Wow, I love your answer to the serious stuff (1-5).
I also love my eggs with bacon, and definitely with coffee.
As for the books, The Alchemist really did change my life.
Cheers, Sean! You really deserve it. 🍸
No prob! You deserve it! Cheers!
Congratulations and I enjoyed reading your answers!